Who we are

The Vancouver Refugee Association was formed in 2006 with the collaboration of many government and private organizations stepping forward to help the refugees in Canada. Before we go in details in how we help all the refugees, you need to understand what exactly qualifies as a refugee.

Who is a refugee?

  • Somebody who can’t return to his or her country of origin because of fear of persecution or human rights violations
  • Somebody who needs protection


What you need to start a refugee claim in Canada:

You need to show WHO you are and WHY you are asking for protection.


WHO? –

You must have at least one original identity documents (I.D.) from your country of origin.

For example: Passport or travel document, birth certificate, marriage certificate, school records, national I.D. cards, voter registration card. If you don’t have any of these with you, ask somebody in your home country to send you one.

Immigration officials will keep the originals of your documents and provide you with copies


WHY? –

Some reasons include:

  • Some kind of persecution
  • Government in your country cannot or will not protect you
  • There’s no safety in another area of your own country.