Immigration related health issues:

When you go for your Immigration Medical Exam (IME) you will be given a variety of tests, including those for T.B. syphilis and HIV / AIDS.  You must do your exam in the time given before you can receive your eligibility document from CIC.


Work permit & medical exams.

Once you have completed your exams (and the refugee application process) you may apply for a work permit.  Allow an interval of about 6 weeks for the results of your medicals to be processed by Ottawa before applying for the work permit.


Interim Federal Health (IFH):

This is free medical coverage provided by the Canadian federal government.  It is intended to cover the services of family doctors as well as emergency medical situations for dentists and eye doctors.  The initial coverage period is for one year and the expiry date is shown on your eligibility document